Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Panamanians Like it in the Can

"It" being scotch, of course.

Panama-based Scottish Spirits (that alone should make you weary of drinking their product before you even bother considering their packaging ideas) is now selling "Whiskey in a can." Yep, that's a cold 12 oz. of the (South American) highlands' best.

From the Daily Mail:
Scottish Spirits launched the tins last week, the first time straight whisky has been sold in a can.

Chief executive Manish Panshal said: ‘We are really thrilled with the idea – it’s going to be a part of every lifestyle and occasion.

‘The can is the perfect size to be shared between three people who can mix it with other things like cola.
This idea is so manically stupid that I don't have any contempt left in me to focus on their suggestion that scotch can be mixed with cola. I do, however, instantly see a marketing angle for this in the US. You can't tell me you'd be shocked to see some backwoods yokel sitting on top of a motorhome, pouring a can of this stuff into his Pepsi in the Talladega infield.

[Calm down, NASCAR Nation; I'm not suggesting that ALL of you fit this description. Most of you? Sure. But certainly not all of you.]

I'm already mentally preparing myself for TV ads featuring Larry the Cable Guy. "Whisky-in-a-can. Get 'er dunn at yer local Walmart liquor aisle!" *shivers*

No comments: