Monday, February 13, 2012

Requiem for a Dream


This is quite brilliant, really. I may have Mr. Sandvoss build one of these for me. Not sure which would be the better part: Showing off the finished product, or drinking the 318 beers needed for building material.

From The Huffington Post:
New Zealand carpenter Steve Sandvoss saved a year's worth of beer bottles in his garage. When deciding what to do with them, he opted to take on a man's highest dream and make it a reality by building a bed out of beer bottles.

The resulting frame used 212 large and 106 small Heineken bottles and took 20 hours to make. The most intoxicating aspect is the fluorescent lights Sandvoss installed at the base of the bed, giving the green bottles an alien glow in the darkness. See more images of the glowing green bed frame on Trade Me here.

The bed sold online for over $3,000, exceeding the reserve price by $500. The cash will help pay for his upcoming wedding, although Sandvoss won't let it go without second thoughts. "I think I'll get really emotional when I sell it," he said to The Dominion Post. Who knew beer beds were so romantic? Perhaps he can also begin investing in supplies for his next big carpentry endeavor. (We're waiting for the phrase "I'm busy working on my beer bed" to catch on...)
If you plan on spending any time in the US soon, Mr. Sandvoss, let me know. Until then I'll be busy working on my beer bed.

No comments: