Friday, December 5, 2008

The Silver Anniversary of Legal Boozing


Happy 21st Amendment Day. On this day in 1933, the U.S. officially ended Prohibition. Now if only we can do something about those pesky laws against prostitution and bigamy.

It’s a stroke of beautiful luck that this 75th anniversary falls on a Friday. I had already planned to be out throwing them back for a friend’s birthday. Now I have two reasons to celebrate. And I’m more than a little jealous of my friend; having December 5th as your birthday gives you a boozing birthright. I guess it makes sense, therefore, that she’s one of the few exceptions to the lesson from my previous blog. A W&J girl through-and-through, she can drink most men under the table. I’ve been witness to her skill on more than one occasion. I’ve even been the subject of it—I literally once passed out under her dining room table. And there’s nothing saying that act won’t be repeated tonight. Happy birthday, Abbie.

And happy birthday to you too, 21st Amendment. A toast, from On the Rocks: Here’s to 75 years of it being legal to “tap” that a**.

No comments: