Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Chocolate Shot Glasses? Sweet



I must make something clear before this blog goes any farther: I was not raised in a drinking family.

That's not to say my parents didn't enjoy the occasional glass of wine. But beer was a rarity in our fridge and I can't recall ever seeing my parents have a hard drink outside of a dinner party. I stumbled onto recreational drinking pretty much on my own; I have a strong suspicion the Norwegian half of my genes is responsible for this, if my mom's side of the family is any indication.

So I've never really gone out and had a grand old time drinking with either of my parents, who have been divorced nearly 15 years. Hence my surprise at my dad's offer to hit a local martini bar after dinner during my holiday trip back home.

He and his wife started with cranberry martinis, if memory serves, while I decided to take it easy and do mojitos, since I know I can outdrink both of them and I didn't think we were doing much more than having an after-dinner sip. Silly me.

This was the night the Patriots won their 16th game, and we got there before kickoff and left at about the end of the third quarter. Again, not worth bragging about, but a significant milestone in my understanding of my dad. Alcohol can be a good thing sometimes.

On to the point of this post. A guy he work(ed?) with shows up randomly with girlfriend in tow. They sit at the bar with us and soon a lively conversation is going. At some point, I see the guy talking to the bartender off to the side, and she departs, only to return with a plastic bag full of chocolate. Not just any chocolate, but chocolate shot glasses.

Not only was this something I'd never seen, I'd never even heard of it. Not much of a surprise, because all things considered, they're kind of tacky, if not downright metrosexual. However, given the context of the evening and the fact that I wasn't pounding booze with the homies, I figured what the hell.

My dad's friend buys a round of Bailey's shots in these "glasses." Alcohol and chocolate. There are worse combinations. We toast to the new year, and knock back the shots, then drop the glasses in our mouths. I must admit to thinking this was kind of cool ... or maybe not cool, but at least unique. I can see it as a nifty Valentine's gift if I can find a relatively stable girl who drinks as much as I do.

I don't know what other kinds of liquor would go well with something like this, but I definitely think sweet liqeurs would be the way to go. A shot of Patron mixed with chocolate does NOT sound like a good time. The Bailey's wasn't bad at all, but it's more of a mixer than something to drink by itself.

Anyone else heard of anything like this?

3 comments:

The Hero said...

This is quite interesting and actually opens up tons of possibilities. Would it be possible to make a weed brownie shot glass??

The D.E.F.I. said...

Heard of anything like this? Other than making bongs out of apples? Not really.

"a relatively stable girl who drinks as much as I do"

--that's a contradiction in terms.

TJ said...

Leave me my delusions. It all makes sense after a drink or 12.